Seven Brookdale students have been selected to receive the 2014-15 Elaine Baran Scholarship, earning money to fund their short- and long-term study away programs this year in Morocco, Australia, Russia, Spain and Hawaii.
The scholarship is named in honor of former languages professor Elaine Baran, who was dedicated to both the college community and the global community alike.
“Her passion and motivation for promoting cross-cultural and global experiences were instrumental in the development of Brookdale’s international programs,” said Janice Thomas, director of Brookdale’s International Education Center.
Thaakirah Bethea, of Oakhurst, earned a scholarship for her Fall 2014 studies at Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco. Thaakirah graduated this spring with an associate degree in psychology, and hopes to attend the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
Shannon Dullea, a social sciences major from Freehold, earned funds for her Fall 2014 study-away program at Bond University on the Gold Coast of Queensland, Australia.
Five students also earned scholarships for their Summer 2015 study-away programs. They are:
- Matthew Aquino, of Rumson, who will be studying Russian language and history in Moscow. Aquino, a member of Brookdale’s paralegal program, also received a College Consortium for International Studies scholarship to support his studies in Russia.
- Theresa Bisgono, a liberal arts major from of Bradley Beach, who participated in Brookdale’s faculty-led program to Spain in May.
- Ashley Delgado, an anthropology major from Howell, who will be participating in Brookdale’s faculty-led program at the School of Pacific and Asian Studies, located at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Timothy Loftus, a media studies major from Morganville, who will be also participating in Brookdale’s faculty-led program hosted by the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Kristina Russo, a criminal justice major from Manalapan, who participated in Brookdale’s faculty-led program to Spain in May.
Brookdale offers semester-long and short-term faculty-led study away programs to nearly 30 countries. For more information about international programs and available scholarships contact the International Education Center at 732-224-2799 or email email@example.com. You can also visit the center’s website here.
The Elaine Baran Study Abroad Scholarship is funded by the Brookdale Foundation. To learn how to apply for or contribute to one of the Foundation’s scholarship funds, contact Timothy Zeiss, Executive Director of Foundation & Alumni Affairs, at 732-224-2887 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHOTO COURTESY OF THE INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION CENTER. Pictured (l-r): Scholarship recipients Ashley Delgado, Thaakirah Bethea and Theresa Bisogno point out their study-away destinations.