For only the third time in the last 36 years, a select group of former Brookdale Community College athletes and coaches will be inducted into the college’s Athletics Hall of Fame.
The 2016 class includes seven former Jersey Blues players, softball coach Thomas “Bo” Scannapieco, former athletic director John “Jack” Ryan and the 1986 men’s baseball team.
The hall of fame, which recognizes outstanding former players, coaches, administrators and contributors, welcomed its first class in 1979. After more than three decades of athletic success at Brookdale, the hall “reopened” to welcome its second class of inductees in 2015.
This year’s class features multiple all-American athletes and nationally recognized figures, including five baseball players who were drafted or signed by major league teams. The 1986 baseball team won the mid-east district championship en route to a third place finish at the NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series.
Scannapieco, already a member of the National Junior College Softball Hall of Fame and the Jersey Shore Sports Hall of Fame, has led the Jersey Blues to three national championships and 18 regional championships since 1987. He is a three-time national coach of the year.
Other honorees include former softball player and two-time all-American Marissa Sottile (Busch), who pitched five “no-hitters” and one perfect game between 2001 and 2003, and Lori Kirschbaum (McDermott), who starred on the Jersey Blues women’s basketball and soccer teams between 1999 and 2001.
Ryan, an assistant English professor at Brookdale, began working as an athletic trainer in 1973 before going on to coach women’s softball and help establish the Jersey Blues women’s soccer program.
Hall of Fame inductees are nominated by their peers and members of the community.
The inductees will officially join the hall during a recognition ceremony at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 12 at the Sheraton Hotel in Eatontown. To attend or sponsor the ceremony visit the Brookdale Athletics website.
2016 Athletics Hall of Fame Class
- Lou Giglio (Men’s Soccer | 1975-76)
- Mike Grimsley (Men’s Soccer | 1986-87)
- Lori Kirschbaum (McDermott) (Women’s Basketball/Women’s Soccer | 1999-2001)
- Dennis McCaffery (Baseball | 1989)
- Katie Motondo (McDonald) (Women’s Soccer | 1997-98)
- Miguel Rodriguez (Men’s Basketball | 2002-04)
- Marissa Sottile (Busch) (Softball | 2001-03)
The 1986 Baseball Team:
- Players: Victor Giardina, Steve Arbachesky, Tony Bellavia, Scott Churchwell, Darin Ehehalt, Vinny Fiore, Dave Kennett, Joe Killeen, Jeff Kipila, Danny Knier, Dave Krall, Tracy Pancoski, Rich Preziotti, Hector Rodriguez, Marc Schuster, Gary Smith, Dave Supsie, Todd Walsack, Ken Welch
- Head Coach: Paul McLaughlin
- Assistant Coaches: John Montefusco Sr. and Marc Lockenmeyer
- Thomas “Bo” Scannapieco (Softball | 1987-present)
- Jack Ryan (Athletic Director | 1997-2005)